This year, we are hosting a New Year's Eve bash at our home, and we couldn't be more excited! And while the focus will be mainly on the evening's menu, party games and decor, I HAD to try out this amazing brunch recipe for New Year's Day. Because after a night of, well, New Year's Eve proportions, everyone wants a tasty morning-after meal.
I present to you...spinach egg cups! The name may not impress you, but the results will.
I adapted my recipe from Manila Spoon, and to be honest, I worked with what I had. Feel free to improvise too! Take a look at my photos and the recipe below!
Olive oil or butter (for sautéing onions and mushrooms)
One small onion
1-2 cups of fresh spinach
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used sharp, and we didn't have a full cup and it was still fantastic)
10 mini-bella mushrooms, chopped (optional)
1-2 Tbsp, heavy cream, milk or half-and-half (optional)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
YiaYia's Special Spices (my mom got this for me while at a Greek festival in Chicago and I put it on EVERYTHING! And just in case you were wondering, everything in My Big Fat Greek Wedding is true.)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Sauté the onions and mushrooms together in one pan, while lightly sautéing the spinach (3-4 minutes) in another pan
3. Mix the eggs, cream, and grated cheese with the sautéed onion and mushrooms in a large bowl. Add your desired amount of salt and pepper (and if you have YiaYia's secret spices, sprinkle that goodness in there too!)
4. Fill each of of the muffin tray cups
5. Pop those bad boys in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
6. After finished, let these sit for a couple minutes then serve with your favorite sides! (I'm a vegetarian but I made the hubs turkey bacon and toast!)